Bill Jonas on Thu, 13 Apr 2000 01:28:35 -0400 (EDT)

PLUG meeting location, etc (was Re: [PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #472 - 20 msgs)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Willis, Alan wrote:

> where exactly are the PLUG meetings,. what (exactly) goes on there, and is it
>useful?

There is a lot of info at http://plug.nothinbut.net/meetings.html.
There are pictures there to help you recognize the place when you see
it; it's a big silver building with a revolving door in the front on
Chestnut street a few blocks from Independence Hall.  (It's in the
middle of the block between 3rd and 4th street.)

As far as what goes on there, for about the first half hour-45 minutes,
people are arriving, we eat free (as in beer <g>) food (graciously
provided by our host, the IQ Group), converse, and have an informal
Q&A.  Then, for about the next hour or so (sometimes a little more),
someone gives a talk about something they said they'd talk about.  Then,
if there's still time before 9:00, sometimes we have more Q&A, or just
talk, and everybody's welcome to stay and converse until 11:00, at which
point Darxus (our IQ Group contact) will kick everybody out so that he
doesn't have to run for the train.  ;)

"Useful" is a highly subjective term, especially when it comes to stuff
like this.  YMMV, but I find it to be useful in that I learn about new
things, help is exchanged about Linux problems, and -- if you want to
talk about useful as in business -- it's a great place to network.  IMO.

Why don't you come to the next meeting for the heck of it?  The only
thing you have to lose is a couple hours and a dollar for parking.  :)

Bill
--
"I couldn't give him advice in business and he couldn't give me
advice in technology." --Linus Torvalds, about why he wouldn't