Luis Baars on Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:43:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Apache w/RedHat 6.2 Access problem

Disclaimer: I have never set up an Apache Web Server so I may be talking out of my a$$. You may flog me if I'm totally off the wall.

When setting up tcp wrappers, you usually configure hosts.allow and hosts.deny. If you have an entry of "ALL: ALL" in hosts.deny, then it might not let in http traffic if there is no entry in hosts.allow that looks something like "httpd: hosts.to.allow" or "httpd: ALL". Of course, this is only if you have httpd is tcp wrapped (this is where my lack of knowledge comes in because I don't know if httpd can be tcp wrapped, I'm assuming it can because it deals with packets coming into the computer).

I would first try to remove the "ALL: ALL" entry from hosts.deny and then restart inetd. Try accessing the web pages really quickly, then replace the entry. You might need to put "in.httpd: whatever" in hosts.allow, but there is no use trying the syntax if it isn't even a tcp wrapper issue.

If you don't have httpd tcp wrapped or httpd cannot be wrapped, it might it's own config files that work similar to hosts.allow and hosts.deny. This is an absolute shot in the dark and I hope that this helps.

Thanks,
Luis