aab on Mon, 1 May 2000 11:58:32 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Firewall question...

On Mon, 1 May 2000 DrexelDG@aol.com wrote:

> Who uses them?

   Vale bagged this one.  Anyone who has anything on their network that
   they value.  Data, productivity, e-commerce, what-have-you.  Once you
   have spent enough time (& money) to setup your network, you might see
   it worth your while to prevent someone's "goofing it" ... even if you
   don't have any data of any direct monetary value (submarine plans and
   missile guidance code).

> What kind do you use?  Is there a commerical version that is better
> then a free one?

   This might depend on your environment.  When the hospital was looking
   for a firewall, we were supporting Checkpoint (well regarded and one
   of the cheapest packages in the running) but the powers-that-be went
   out and purchased the SunScreen product ... I think they spent $75K
   at the time.  One doesn't really have to wonder very long how we went
   bankrupt with decisions like that ...

> A HOWTO file to config them?

   Again, depends on the hardware.  And, I suppose, the abilities of the
   people managing them.  I know that when they were using it here, the
   IS folks frequently bypassed it (SunScreen acts as a transparent IP
   filter) because the people who were administering it didn't know how
   to ... uh, administer/configure/etc. it.  I saved an old presentation
   from that era that includes something about threats from .JIF files.

   We called her the "peanut butter queen" for months.

> Any additional information that I need to know?

   Know what your goals are.  Do your homework.  (wait, you are!  :^)

   A firewall that isn't properly setup is no better than that antivirus
   software that has a year-old scanning string library.  Your only real
   security in that case will be the delusion that you're secure.

   andrew.