Joe Laudadio on Tue, 2 May 2000 13:24:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] A simple question...

Removing something from /etc/services will not turn that service off. The
/etc/services file is just a useful list of well-known port numbers. It
*is* used by the system but not for determining what services should be
running. It's use is best illustrated by a example. When I issue the
command "netstat -ta" I see the following line (among others):

tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN

Right away I know that this port is a ssh port. I have the following line
in /etc/services:

ssh             22/tcp

If I didn't have that line the output from the netstat command would have
been:

tcp        0      0 *:22                   *:*                     LISTEN

Not all that informative unless I already know what port 22 is for.

On to what you want to do....
Most of the services that may be running will probably be in
/etc/inetd.conf. Just find the line in /etc/inetd.conf where a particular
service is configured and comment it out (or delete it if you're sure
you'll never want it again). Then issue the command "killall -HUP inetd".
This will restart the inetd and all the services you got rid of will be
gone.  You might have services running that aren't listed in
/etc/inetd.conf. For example, the default slackware install starts a few
Sun RPC services that aren't listed in inetd.conf. You'll have to go
through your rc.* scripts to find out where they are being started and
remove them.