William H. Magill on Tue, 2 May 2000 13:37:49 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Wavelan / Orinoco

>   Has anyone here had any experience with wavelan cards (orinoco is the new
>   name)  I am interested in using them for my laptop and to let ppl in my
>   appartment complex connect to the internet through my sdsl line.  I don't
>   know how well they work with walls in between and their compatability with
>   the older 2mb cards.  The 2mb cards will work perfectly well with the
>   older pl.  Just don't know how well all of this will work.

The Wavelan cards are manufactured by Lucent.
These are the same cards used by Apple and Cabletron.
3Com and Aironet (now owned by Cisco) also make compatible 802.11B cards.

All of the 802.11B cards we tested last Fall inter-operate without
problems.

See: The Netowrk World article on the evaluation we did:

        http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2000/0410feat.html

Apple's Airport base station, (or a G4 with the "software base station") is
the cheapest and fastest way to setup a "home network" via NAT.

All 802.11 products are RF products and suffer from the same issues that
your TV signal does - walls, reflections, antenna orientation, etc.

I've got a big old victorian with an Airport base on the first floor.
It covers internally well, but the brick walls damp it pretty dramatically.
Now that it's stopped raining, I'll find out how well it works in the
hamock this weekend.

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/