Mike Cathcart on Fri, 12 May 2000 16:38:03 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] DSL providers

From: darxus@chaosreigns.com
A friend is looking for a DSL provider that will be okay with him running
apache & majordomo.  There was a guy at the last PLUG meeting that was
talking about a provider that was officially providing him with some
amount of bandwidth, but providing a good bit more, and had a "we plug you
into the internet, you do what you want with the connection" type
policy.  Are you here ?

Missed the meeting, but it sounds similar to what speakeasy.net promises. I looked around for awhile, and I've decided to give them a call on Monday to sign up. You're allowed unlimited bandwidth and up to ten static IPs (something like 3$/month for each extra one) with the home version of the service. From the FAQ:

Can I obtain more static IP addresses after installation?
Yes, however you cannot have both static and dynamic IPs. In addition, there is a limit to 10 IPs per residential circuit. To have more than 10 static IPs, you'll need a Business level circuit.

Can I run a web server through my DSL connection?
Certainly. Many other DSL providers do not allow this.

Can I host a domain through my DSL connection?
Yes, you may host your own domain. Speakeasy can provide DNS service for you. Please visit our domain hosting page from more details and hosting options.