Bill Jonas on Wed, 17 May 2000 04:50:59 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] FW: More manual v electronic KVM switch considerations

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Michael Leone wrote:

>Saw this on one of my Netware lists ...

It's interesting.

>> >If I reboot a machine while it's un-selected on the switch, I get the
>> >"no keyboard connected - hit <F1> to continue" message.
>
>> A "smart switch" that does port emulation will allow a reboot despite
>> being "switched" to another machine.  I find that the manual switches
>> deteriorate fairly rapidly if used a lot.

That old 486 that I bought had a couple options in the BIOS... one was
for whether or not it should test for a keyboard upon boot up, and the
other was for if the machine should make you press F1 for an
error.  Either of these should solve that problem.  (Depends on the
BIOS, I suppose.)

>Worse, manual switches can generate switching transients that can
>fry keyboard fuses.... and the fuses can be hard to replace.

Hmmm... two different salescritters mentioned this (except they said it
was a diode) in the same day, when I stopped at a couple different
places that I happened to be near.  Except they framed it as being the
same as hot-plugging the keyboard (which I suppose it is).  Hmm.  Here
at work we'll hot-plug keyboards all the time (in the various servers in
the rack), and we've never had any problems.  I wonder how big of a
problem this is in practice (not that I'm saying it doesn't exist).  I
further wonder if there's a device that would plug into a keyboard port,
basically a straight-through plug, that would allow "safe" hot-plugging
of the keyboard.

<muse>I may, for the time being, just get a VGA switch, since I've got
extra keyboards and mice.  I don't know, though.</muse>

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/