Vettese, Nick A on Thu, 25 May 2000 11:21:04 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] "Distro" advocates

Yes, I think Debian is a great distro, but I think since using RH and SuSE
prior to that, I became more influenced with RH and SuSE.  I actually like
them all, but I do not have enough PCs, or HD space, to run them all.  Do
not discount Debian, but my opinion still remains.  It is all in the user.
You should try those 99 cent CDs, and try a few of them.  Cant go wrong with
that.  LinuxxMall is offering TurboLinnux 6.0 for free.  you pay only 20 +
s&h, and fill out the 20 rebate, Okay so it is still 7.50 when all is said
and done.  But from 49.95 to 7.50, and I got the 99 cent  CD R6.2 for free.
Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: darxus@chaosreigns.com [mailto:darxus@chaosreigns.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 11:00 AM
To: 'plug@lists.nothinbut.net'
Subject: RE: [PLUG] "Distro" advocates

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Vettese, Nick A wrote:

> I have used almost all the different distros (Only the major ones!), and I
> think it is a draw between Red Hat and SuSE.  I think that they have a
> certain ease about them when setting up the different components.  I have
> been using Red Hat exclusively, for about a year now, and I am getting
ready
> to try SuSE 6.4.  I have heard excellent things about it.  One other point
> want to make though.  I heard some one say this, and it has never left my
> head.  It doesn't matter wich distro you really use, because it is all the
> same Linux.  The kernel doesn't change only the programs that surround it.
> Nick

The most important thing I forgot to say... try them all, and decide what
you like the most.  Nothing's perfect for everybody.

Nick: I'm curious, have you used Debian ?

Is there anybody here who's used Debian, gotten to know apt, and decided
they still liked another Linux distro better ?

I really must get around to trying SuSE some day.

Oh yeah... Slashdot poll, "My favorite Linux Distribution is:"
http://slashdot.org/pollBooth.pl?qid=distro2&aid=-1

Top 3, in order:
1) SuSE
2) Debian