Michael Leone on Thu, 25 May 2000 14:47:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Sharing distros

> On Thu, 25 May 2000, Michael Leone wrote:
>
> > Huh.
> >
> > OK, how can I find out what software *is* propreitary? I just kind of
> > assumed that anything on the distributed CD (which - again - I assumed
was
> > the same as the ISO images available at the ftp sites) was fair game.
Which
> > was how CheapBytes could sell every distro for $1.99 (that has to be CD
> > re-imbursement cost; no way would that cover charges for proprietary
> > software). Anybody know for sure otherwise?
>
> If you got your cd from a place like cheapbytes, you can copy it.  It's
> just a copy of the iso, not necessarily what the organization distributes
> in shrink wrap.

Now, *that* I did not know. Thought it was the same as shrink wrap.

My Slackwares are from CheapBytes, but my RH 5.2 is retail; my RH 6 is from
the RedHat Unleashed book, and the Mandrake/Storm are from the Maximum Linux
mag.