Michael Leone on Thu, 25 May 2000 15:07:02 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] "Distro" advocates

> On Thu, 25 May 2000, adam wrote:
>
> > Hey, to me apt sounds similar to rpm.
> > Can anyone hit us with a rpm vs. apt for
> > the time challenged?
>
> I wanted to install the openssh on a redhat 6.0 box.

<Long list o steps deleted>

> I wanted to install the openssh server on a debian box.

<short list of steps deleted>

apt sounds cool. Why would it not work on a RH machine, tho? Apt is
assembling files (downloading them from a central database somewhere);
compiling and installing.  The assembling and compiling phases should be the
same, I would image; the install steps might be different. Because of the
fact that Debian is BSD, and RH is System V?