Bill Jonas on Fri, 26 May 2000 11:30:48 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] "Distro" advocates

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Jason Costomiris wrote:

>SuSE:	Almost feels like RedHat, but ickier.  YaST (their system management
>		tool), annoys me endlessly.  Good package management (RPM based).

Might I also add:  Bleeding-edge X server support.  I found the install
to be really slick (coming from Slackware 7.0); YaST is good in this
regard (and I assume their YaST2 graphical install might've been even
slicker, but they warned of a bug (in the 6.3 distro, don't know about
6.4) in YaST2 that surfaced if you tried to use it and install LILO in
the superblock of the /boot partition).  But I share your views on YaST
WRT everyday stuff.  It really gets annoying.

And not to start a flamefest or anything, but is there an rpm equivalent
to 'apt-cache search text_string'?  I want to play with rdate on this
box (SuSE 6.3), but it's not installed.  I already tried grepping the
ls-lR.gz file in the root directory of the first CD-ROM, but it didn't
turn up anything.  Guess it's too small to be in its own package (or
it's not on the first CD).

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/