Daniel W. Ottey on Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:22:25 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Boot Disk

I have an aquaintence who has a problem.

I believe this happened during an install of Redhat.  He was going to dual
boot with Windows 98.  HE already had Windows 98 working on the drive, and
then did the redhat install.  He wanted to put the linux boot info on a
floppy only, but by accident he left LILO get placed on the hard
drive.  It rewrote the MBR.

That would have been ok, but then Norton AV didn't like this.  Norton
replaced his working win/linux MB with an old version of the MBR.  He now
has a problem where the computer will not boot into Windows or Linux from
the hard drive.  When he boots with a bootable linux floppy, he can see
and mount the linux partitions.  But he still cannot figure out how to
make a bootable floppy with a working LILO on it which can reference
windows and linux.

What he wants is:
1). If there is no floppy inserted, the computer just boots Windows (no
LILO)

2). He'd like to make a floppy which has LILO on it that will allow him to
choose Windows or Linux.

How can he fix his system so that it boots into Windows, and how can he
create a boot disk with the necessary files to load LILO (from the
floppy) and access either OS.

I hope this made sense.  Any help would be appreciated.

Daniel W. Ottey
Pre-Junior Information Systems Student
Drexel University - Philadelphia, PA
http://www.snarfykat.org/