Bill Jonas on Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:16:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] copying a complete system to new HD

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Michael C. Toren wrote:

>Also, just to be safe, I would use:
>
>    (cd /src && tar cvpf - *) | (cd /dest && tar xvpf -)

...which is, in fact, the recommended method in the Tips-HOWTO:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Tips-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.6

One time, to be safe, I did it using the 'cd && tar' method, and the 'cp
-a' method, comparing the directory structure using something along the
lines of 'diff <(ls /olddir) <(ls /newdir)', and the only thing that
seemed to be different was with some symbolic links (the differences
were due to the fact that the links were handled properly).  IIRC, the
cp -a was faster.  The tar method has going for it, of course, the fact
that it is portable to other Unices, since the -a option is peculiar to
GNU cp.

>I end up using lines similar to the above quite often when moving and
>copying directory structures.  I also end up piping tar to gzip -c, and
>then to netcat to do network backups.

Fun fun fun stuff with Unix.  :)

BTW, have you checked out amanda for network backups?  I've not used it
myself, but my boss does and swears by it.  There is a Debian package
available.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/