Jason Costomiris on Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:59:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG]Sendmail & Postfix

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 06:12:23PM -0400, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
: Could someone who is familiar with both Sendmail and Postfix compare and
: contrast the two, please?  I'm specifically interested in the use of one
: of them on a very small corporate mail server.

I've used both in a corporate setting.  I think of sendmail as the
"swiss army knife" of MTAs.  You can make it do just about anything...

Postfix, on the other hand, can do nearly everything sendmail does, but
also does some stuff a whole lot better.  For example, Postfix has
some very good LDAP integration, that when used in conjunction with
cyrus (and the checkpasswd that uses an ldap directory), you can scale
your mail system to thousands of users.  Of course, sendmail also has
LDAP hooks, but I like the simplicity of Postfix's LDAP integration.

Speed?  Postfix whips sendmail's butt, big time.  It's also written
with a security focus (Wietse wrote it, it's good stuff).  Postfix
also supports PCRE (perl compatible regexps) for various map types.

Want to use the RBL|RSS|DUL with Postfix?  Here:

add this to main.cf:
maps_rbl_domains = rbl.maps.vix.com, dul.maps.vix.com, relays.mail-abuse.org

then add this to smtpd_client_restrictions (in main.cf):
reject_maps_rbl

Boom! Done.

Of course, it also does all the "normal" stuff, like virtual domains,
a reasonable aliases file (unlike qmail), etc.  It also works nicely with
software like DRAC (Dynamic Relay Access Control)..

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.