Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:00:16 -0400 (EDT)

Sparc for Intel trade?

  • From: Jeff Abrahamson <abrahj01@molbio.sbphrd.com>
  • To: PLUG <plug@lists.nothinbut.net>
  • Subject: Sparc for Intel trade?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:53:46 -0400
  • >received: from ns02.sbphrd.com (firewall-user@ns02.sbphrd.com [208.198.64.2]) by vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu (8.9.1/8.8.2) with SMTP id KAA04833 for <jeff@purple.com>; Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:53:58 -0400 (EDT)

I have a Sparc ultra 5, 270 MHz, 64 Mb RAM, 4 GB hd. Includes keyboard
and mouse, but no monitor. It has Solaris 7 loaded. It works just
fine. As of this time last year, this was a new model being sold by
Sun, albeit at the bottom of their offering palette.

For reasons of convenience[1], I would rather have an intel-based
system.

I would be willing to trade this machine for a similar (or better ;-)
Intel-based machine. Similar performance level would mean, say, 300
MHz P2. Said trade machine should have similar or greater RAM, and
should have an ethernet card. And, of course, be usable under linux.

I'll trade it for the best offer I get, where best is defined by me.

I live downtown, so the trade will have to be made either downtown or
else I can bring it to work and you can come here (SmithKline, in
Upper Merion). But the former would be much easier for me, and so
would factor into that "best" determination, above.

If you're interested, tell me what you've got. Preferably reply by
private email rather than cluttering the list.

Tia.

--
 Jeff Abrahamson
 610/270-4845

 (home is jeff_abrahamson@purple.com)

[1] I'm planning to give the machine to a non-profit (the Bicycle
Coalition) on whose board I sit. So I want it to be extremely
stable. And, as far as I can tell, Sparc linux is only quite
stable. If this thing ever crashes, I'm gonna hear about it, so I want
it essentially never to crash.

In addition, it just makes my life simpler to administer relatively
similar sorts of machines. If it's running Solaris, I have just that
much extra work to do figuring out how to do things. (Even tiny
garbage like NFS export and mount is slightly different.)

So the machine, which I bought for a consulting gig (now ended) last
year and which has run nicely as a server for me for the last year, is
really in quite good condition. It's just not optimal for my needs at
the moment.