Bill Jonas on Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:47:08 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] plug web page url

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:

>My concern is links from other sites, of which there are quite a few.
>Currently, nobody has any reason to update their links from the old URL to
>the newer, easier to remember URL.  The whole point of setting up the new
>domain was so that when people see it, they will be able to remember it
>better.  If it's not used, people still aren't going to remember where the
>plug web page is as much.

A couple of ideas:

You could use a refresh on each page or the http status indicator for
"Moved" (I forget what the numerical code is).  Of course, this slightly
breaks the "Back" button on the user's browser.

You could add something like "New URL is http://www.phillylinux.org/"; to
the header and/or footer.

There's other stuff, I'm sure, but some of it might require more than
one IP address.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/