A V Flinsch on Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:55:15 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] memory problem

> PLUG,
>
> I recently just had LINUX installed for the first time and I'm having a
> little problem.  I have Redhat 6.2 installed as a dual boot with Win95.  My
> machine has an AMD K6-2 300 chip on a ZP-5V2 motherboard with 64 MB of
> memory.
>
> The problem is that LINUX runs really slow!  (Whereas, when I run Win95 it
> runs pretty fast.)  Its seems like I just don't have enough memory - I can
> hear the hard drive swapping like crazy.
>
> I check the meminfo file in /proc.  This is what it contained:
> MemTotal:    13392 kB
> MemFree:       160 kB
> MemShared:    6284 kB
> Buffers:       304 kB
> Cached:       4532 kB
> BigTotal:        0 kB
> BigFree:         0 kB
> SwapTotal:  136040 kB
> SwapFree:   119080 kB
>
> So, it looks to me like LINUX just isn't seeing all of my memory.

yer right, linux is not seeing all of your memory. Unlike some of the other
kind folks who responded, I don't think that using the "append mem=???" is
going to do the trick. That usually works when you have more than 64M and Linux
is only seeing 64. What it looks like here is that Linux is seeing only about
14M of ram. Take a look at your bios and see if the "memory hole at 14-15M" is
enabled, if it is, try disabling it then rebooting. Windows tends to ignore it,
while it was important a few years back for OS/2 (One of the pre warp versions,
either 2.0 or 2.1).

--
Alex
(Go easy on me, I'm a COBOL programmer in real life)