Bill Jonas on Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:50:58 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] CD-R(W) backup tools?

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, LeRoy Cressy wrote:

>There are several backup utilities that you can either purchase or get
>for free.

Don't forget Amanda; I've heard it's useful for doing network backups
(ie, my boss uses it.)

But keep in mind that whatever you use, you will have to (unless it's
designed to do this already, which tar, cpio, and dump are not
AFAIK) pipe the output to mkisofs, and then pipe the output of *that* to
cdrecord.  Or, if the disc is not going to be read on other platforms, I
suppose you could just pipe the data directly to cdrecord (see the
CD-Writing-HOWTO for examples on that).

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/