Charles Stack on Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:06:46 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] sunrpc..a few questions

Okay...so do I need it?  How can I block access to it from the internet?
Can I use inetd.conf or hosts allow/deny to block those ports from the
internet?

In the past, these things were not detected by Saint.  But Saint-2.2 with
NMAP indicates that the services are running.  But, it doesn't flag them as
a vulnerability.  Yet, everything I've read indicates that the "r" commands
are bad news.  Aren't the "r" commands part of sunrpc?

cjs

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Chet the
Quick-drying Nairobian Death Monkey
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 3:58 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] sunrpc..a few questions

> This all great...but which services consitute "sunrpc" and what are the
> effects if I shut them down.

'sunrpc' is just a port designation, it corresponds to port 111 tcp/udp.
It's handled by portmapper, which maps RPC [remote procedure call] program
numbers to higher numbered ports.  RPC is a facility for invoking
functions [code] on remote machines -- of which, I think the NFS system
uses RPC to perform some of it's communications, so it requires portmapper
to be running to function correctly (NFSD needs it I think, but possibly
not the client).

"From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back.  That is
the
 point that must be reached."   -- Kafka
mortis@voicenet.com
http://www.voicenet.com/~mortis