William H. Magill on Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:36:13 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] doubling bandwidth and achieving network redundancy

>   >from their web site... and since Verizon got out of the xDSL business last
>   >month. Call DCA (or visit their web site) and ask them to get you
>
>   Oh? Verizon dropped xDSL? Are you sure, Bill? Last I heard, they had
>   bought NorthPoint DSL as well.

My understanding is just the opposite. ...

Verizon is turning over all of its DSL business to Northpont, which it
just happened to have "merged" with.

"The new NorthPoint will include Verizon's existing DSL business, with its
broadband network assets, and an $800 million cash investment by Verizon."

http://www.northpointcom.com/about_press.asp?PressReleaseID=1152

Although to a certain extent, it depends upon how you look at the glass,
half empty or half full. I'm usually an optimist.

I belive This is actually a very typical "merger" where there really is
"synergy" in the product lines. Verizon is buying the management expertise
in the DSL field from Northpoint, and all of the support structure will be
converted over to the "Northpoint way."

Not only is this a major good move on Verizon's part from a technology
infrastructure point of view, but also from a pr/marketing view.

BA's DSL service is the true "butt of the joke" in the xDSL industry.
I believe that they have "earned" the world-wide reputation of being
absolutely horrible. By converting everything to Northpoint, they can
"start over again."

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/