mg on Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:14:47 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] how do you change resolution setting after the install

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Kim Dang wrote:

> Do you know how to make KDE show up 1024x768 resolution or at least 800x600?
> i have neomagic drivers with 2MB video memory. the current resolution in
> linux is only 640x480 i guess.

Short answer: you can use ctrl-alt-+ and ctrl-alt-- to switch between the
*available* resolutions.

Longer answer: I stress "available resolutions" above because a resolution
has to be defined for a given color depth in XF86Config before it can be
used.  The section in XF86Config looks something like this. (NOTE: this is
from my X 4.0 config so it may differ a bit from yours but the idea is the
same).

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1024x768" "1280x1024" "800x600" "640x480"
                ViewPort  0 0
        EndSubSection

Now what that means is that when I'm running X at 24bpp, I can have a
resolution of 1024x768, 1280x1024, 800x600, or 640x480. I can switch
between those with the aforemention ctrl-alt-+/- commands. Each color
depth has its own "Modes" field so if you want to run at 1024x768 you
have to make sure that resolution is declared in the Modes field for the
color depth you're using. I believe that X runs at 8bpp by default, I may
be wrong.

Yes, this a little complicated. Welcome to X :). Hopefully the short
answer will be all you need, but if you cant use the short answer to get
the resolution you want hopefully I've provided enough info to help you
add that resolution.

mg