Darxus on Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:33:59 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channel #PLUG on EFNet

We have 293 people on this mailing list.  I consider IRC a very useful
resource (#perl and #linux are good examples).  I've been involved in a
number of channels of friends, and enjoy them.  I think an IRC channel for
this user group has the potential to work very well.  The gathering of
similar minds can be very productive.

Go to www.efnet.org, download, install, and run an IRC program listed
on the "software" page.

Connect to one of the servers listed on the "servers" page.

/join #plug
(all commands start with "/", channels start with "#")

Starting IRC channels can be slow.  Join the channel, and stay there.  If
there isn't interesting conversation going on that moment, mimize your IRC
client and go about your life, and check back once in a while.  It just
doesn't work to jump into a channel, wait 2 seconds, get bored, and leave.

Advantages I expect #PLUG to have over other things:

#Linux (EFNet):
* it will be more personal, and you'll be a lot more likely to
  get an answer from somebody you may have met than an annonymous face
  amongst the noise.
* It'll be a lot less noisy.

PLUG mailing list:
* There are times when you have a subject that's not related to the list
  enough to post it, but which would still be of sufficient interest to
  the group to bring up in casual conversation (realtime chat).
* If you have a panic question, it has a fair chance of getting answered
  faster in IRC, and interactive discussion is much more smooth and quick.

I'm going to go put this on the plug web page
(http://www.PhillyLinux.org), along with some info on interacting with
the bot.
--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com