LeRoy Cressy on Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:11:52 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] [Q] Newbie: Lunix training in Philly

Paul Oh wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to Philly (and relatively new to Lunix).  Can anyone suggest
> classes/courses/schools that offers Lunix training in Philly?  The
> class(es)/course(s) would cover topics such as installation, general use
> and server setups.

I don't know of any training courses that would be appropriate except a
general UNIX course.  Every Linux distribution has a different install
procedure along with various quirks.  I've heard of courses for RedHat
or some other flavor of Linux, but if you learn only about the specifics
of only one distribution you have a starting point.

I've seen advertisments in the free paper "Delaware Valley Computer
User" that is distributed in Center City for various courses.  Also you
can check out the various Universities around the area like Drexel, U of
P and Temple.

With Linux you will be your own Sys Admin along with being a user.

The best book that I ever bought when I first started using Linux in
late 1994 was "Essential System Administration" by AEleen Frisch.  It is
available in Borders and Barnes and Noble.  This book covers almost all
the flavors of UNIX along with Linux.  it will give you an excellent
background in system administration for setting up your system.

Also you can get one of the Linux Magazines that has a CD attached and
get a Linux Distribution that way.  But finally the best way to learn is
to use Linux.

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )