Darxus on Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:24:08 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] apt-get / rpm freshmeat article

On 09/17, mg wrote:
> files. The logical end of this path is windows-like environment where
> plaintext config files are gone and flashy frontends and wizards are the
> only way to get something done. As LeRoy pointed out this is just fine
> until you need to do something that the frontend never though anyone would
> ever have to do. It also keeps the user from really learning how things

Some time ago, when I was pondering a reference to RedHat being the
microsoft of Linux, I stopped to think, what's the worst that could come
of this.

For a long time, Linux was user hostile.  Nobody that knew enough to do
anything about it cared to because of an elitist attitude.  That's fine.

The number of people who have, do, and will contribute to Linux is insane.
Given enough time, any obvious goal will be accomplished.

User-friendlyness is one of these obvious goals.

It is inevitable.

That is not bad.

The GPL is a wonderful thing.

If Linux ever gets unacceptably bogged down with user-friendlyness, it
will fork.  Or we'll all start using *BSD.

It's okay, the problem will take care of itself.

In the meantime, the mainstreaming of Linux means we get more apps to play
with.  And I get to use it on my workstation at work.

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com