LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:25:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] apt-get / rpm freshmeat article

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
>
> >I agree.  A distribution should be proactive in that area, no matter who
> >the intended userbase is.  I also think that one needs to define "secure".
> >As an example (a little extreme), I find that my firewall requires a
> >different example of "secure" than a desktop system.
>
> True.  I've heard, actually, that MandrakeSoft is quite good in this
> area, allowing you to choose the level of security you want on a sliding
> scale from "Cracker's Paradise" to "I've Got to Fix Permissions Yet
> *Again* So I Can Get Some Real Work Done", based on the convenience
> level you desire.  (This isn't intended as flamebait, merely a weak
> attempt at humor.  A user reported on another Linux mailing list that he
> had problems which required (ongoing) permissions tweaking.)
>
> Certainly, one size does not fit all.  It boils down to the classic
> tradeoff between convenience and security, and what level of risk is
> acceptable.
>
> I would define it, for the typical home user, as running no services by
> default... and I thought I was going to be making a list here, but
> that's about it, I suppose.  That would be a big step.  I suppose I'm
> not really covering new ground here.  Oh yeah, maybe firewall off the
> SunRPC port too.

This is especially important now that dsl is becoming mor prevelant!
Being on line all of the time can be a very dangerous condition.

> Sometimes I get annoyed at the way Debian will automatically start
> services when you install the daemons.  (Maybe I want to get it now,
> read about it more, and configure it later.)  I suppose the assumption
> is that if you install a daemon, it's going to run, so it may as well be
> started.

Agreeded

No I didn't, but I think that it might be a good discussion on the
debian developers list to chat about.  For I also have the same problem
of disabeling deamons that I desire to run from the command line.

I think as part of the install script for a deamon should be a prompt
asking if the administrator would like the deamon to run upon startup.
I think that this was the old way of doing it, but now that even debian
is moving toward a noninteractive install that any deamon will run from
/etc/rc*.  This is one of the hazards that I was attempting to bring
out.

> >I'm curious (if LeRoy addressed this in his message, I'm sorry, I found it
> >just too long), what is the "insecurity" that people are citing in
> >distributions?  Is this a concrete problem or a hobgoblin?

I was citing an article that I read in Maximum Linux I think that
mentioned Corel and RedHat in their policy for ``ease of use'' in
opening some back doors.

> Well, there's the Piranha password issue for one.  But in general, if a
> half-dozen services get ran, and you never check the updates pages, it's
> not a good thing.
>
> >First, a "graphical user interface" does not mean "running under X".  It

First off, Corel didn't offer a text based install and when It didn't
recognize my graphics card, the install stopped.  Storm Linux at least
offered a X based or a Text based install for such a situation.  I
realize that Corel now has version 9 out but I don't know if they added
a text based install.

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )