Jon Nelson on Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:11:24 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Postmortem

Do a google search for VFS: Disk change and you'll see a couple of threads to answer your question.  It has something to do with you kernel version.

At 04:10 PM 9/25/00 -0400, you wrote:
if it happens again try killing magicdev.

Fred

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Allan Lucas <eric.allan.lucas@mail.com>
To: PLUG List <plug@phillylinux.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2000 7:53 AM
Subject: [PLUG] Postmortem

> I had a strange occurence with my Linux workstation and I was wondering if
anyone could advise me on how to determine what happened (therefore - how to
prevent a repeat).

> The computer is a 200 MHz MMX pentium - 64 Meg RAM and an 18 GB SCSI hard
drive (there are several other ide drives - mostly old windows stuff).  It's
running Red Hat 6.1 with the latest Helix-Gnome update.

> I walked into the office about 8:15 last evening and the disk access light
is going steadily - I can hear a drive working.
> The X screen saver is frozen and V E R Y slowly starts to paint the unlock
password box when I move the mouse.  There is not discernable network
traffic so it's all internal and it's obviously _very_ busy.  I switch to a
console and after 2 tries (others time out after 60 seconds) manage to log
in as root.

> At this point I want to run top or ps but nothing works - bus error for
everything.  I type "cat /proc/meminfo" and I see something like this:

>         total:    used:    free:
> Mem:   64573440  64573440    0
> Swap: 139821056  139821056   0
>
> At this point I just want my workstation back to do some work so I try the
reboot command... It gives me the buserror message but still manages to work
well enough to get the box rebooted.  After this, everything appears normal.
I poked around in the /var/log directory looking for clues and the only
thing I find is 160 of these strange messages at the end of the dmesg file:

> VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,64)
>
> My conclusion is that some process "ran away", consuming all available
memory, including swap.  Maybe it was triggered by some hardware glitch on
the ide1 port (SWAG *)?  The problem is I don't know how to find out which
process it was, why it happend, or most importantly, how to prevent it (if
possible) in the future.

> Any ideas?
>
> Does anybody have suggestions about handling a situation like this?  Was I
too quick on the reboot command?

> Any advice is appreaciated (except the advice to buy myself a better
computer... that's already in the works :-) )