Eric Allan Lucas on Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:25:59 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Telephony question

I have a question I hope someone on this list can help with.

I am going to visit a potential client tonight.  They have a MS DOS machine with a modem and some old (read: obsolete and unsupported) software that took a lightning hit last week.  The application they ran would use voice prompts and touch-tone responses to schedule time slots for their club.  There are 30 users, maximum.

Now that their old system is kaput they are seeking a replacement and would like to add web scheduling as well as the telephone functionality.

I'd like to propose a Linux solution but I have no information on how to make Linux "talk to" a modem or more specifically, make the modem talk to the user and handle the incoming touch-tone codes.  Is a modem even appropriate for this type of application or should I look at something like a Brooktrout technology "Prelude" series "Duet" card(*).  The client has one phone line and that's really all they need with only 30 users.  Many of the things I find on the web are talking about T1, Voice-over-IP, Central switching, etc.  I've checked out openh323.org, opengatekeeper.org, voxilla.org, linuxtelephony.org.  None seem to address this type of application.

Anybody have any info?  I'm afraid the guy who is talking about the WinNT/Win2K solution (+ exchange, + IIS, + SQLServer, + $$$$$$) is going to walk away with it and I just think it's a perfect fit for a Linux + Apache + mySQL + PHP.
Simply don't have the telephony info I need to make an intelligent proposal.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Eric Lucas

* Brooktrout talks about Linux but the only support I see is for their RT114 which is a fax board.  Sigh.