Mike Leone on Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:36:34 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] mail questions

From: "Joseph B. Welsh" <JWelsh@ConsecoDirect.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:00:55 -0400

>Hi List!
>
>Question for the list masses...
>
>We have a company mail system (groupwise 5.5) using pop3/imap system.  I
>cannot stand the system, it is unwieldy, has an ugly interface and is
>just plain crappy.

It's not THAT crappy, from what I hear.

>Anyhow, being the only person who uses Linux on his notebook, I was
>wondering if I could get my email from groupwise using a linux mail
>program, store it my inbox locally and not lose the the sender/header
>info. (I don't want to set up rules in groupwise to forward mail to my
>linux mailbox).

GW supports POP3/imap, right? So just about any Linux mail program should work that understands pop3/imap. You won't get the scheduling and other features, but it sounds like you don't care about those.

>Right now I use (mozilla M18 relase mail client) to connect to my pop3
>post office on groupwise to retrieve the mail.

So use a different mail client - like kmail or mutt.

Am I mis-understanding something here?

>Can this be done? or am I stuck until I get my boss to ditch Novell
>(unlikely)

Keep the Novell. Ditch Groupwise, mnaybe, unless you need the scheduling.

>Conseco Direct Life Insurance

I work at the Philadelphia Contributionship, a (mostly) fire and personal property insurance place.

>399 Market Street
>4th Floor

I'm around the corner from you - 4th & Walnut.

Small world, eh?

:-)

--
Michael Leone