Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:19:15 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] ssh login vs bash (how to invoke bash)

Q: Why doesn't bash get read .bashrc for me when invoked by sshd?

Details:

In /etc/passwd, I am

jeff:x:500:500:Jeff Abrahamson:/home/jeff:/bin/bash

When I log in to my machine via ssh, I get a simple bash prompt from a
bash that hasn't read my .bashrc, etc.:

bash$

Then I exec bash, and everything gets read:

bash$ exec bash
jeff@davinci:jeff $

Although it's not hard for me to exec a new bash, I'm curious why the
bash instance that ssh provides isn't right.

I recently reinstalled clean (on a new hd) from redhat 6.2, then
installed ssh 1.2.27. This ssh/sshd used to work just fine.

Incidentally, ssh is working fine in all other respects, although I'm
taking for granted that the packets are encrypted.

--
 Jeff Abrahamson
 610/270-4845