Mike Leone on Thu, 9 Nov 2000 22:50:02 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Moving /usr to a new partition properly

OK, so I'm still wanting to do this properly.

Currently, everything lives on 1 physical partition (obviously, let's
leave the swap stuff out of this). Now that I've resized the partition,
I have free space. So I figured I would create a new ext2-formatted
partition -say 1G out of the 12 free; mount that new partition
temporarily as /mnt/new_part.

What i want to do is clone my /usr filesystem over to /mnt/new_part -
with all the proper permissions; file ownership; etc.
THEN edit fstab. to load that newly populated partition as /usr (and
rename the old /usr to something else, obviously - I wanna keep it
around until I've verified that everything is working properly, and be
able to re-mount the old /usr if necessary).

Creating and mounting the new partition, I know how to do. So what would
be the BEST or PROPER way to copy everything to this new partition?

cd /usr
tar --preserve-permissions --same-owner --verify -z -c
/mnt/new_part/usr_stuff *.*

(Is that right - to preserve permissions,keeping the same owner of the
files, gzipped, into a new archive named "usr_stuff", all files in this
directory? How do I get it to dive down into sub-directories?)

Then:

cd /mnt/new_part
tar zxvf usr_stuff

?

Change the fstab; rename the old /usr; reboot; and pray?