Walt Mankowski on Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:25:04 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] writing assembly for linux OS

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 02:43:38PM -0500, STEPHEN FLETCHER wrote:
> hello i have been programming for intel computers for a few months now, it's
> really fasinating stuff i think , but i only know how to program using the dos
> software interrupts, ... in short i wa wondering if there were an assembler for
> linux.. and a guide for the interrupts that it uses..

I thought that the linux kernel prevents programs from accessing
interrupts directly unless you're kernel-level things like device
drivers, kernel hacking, and whatnot.  Unless that's what you're
doing, you're better off learning how to use Linux system calls, or
even better the higher-level facilities available in languages like
Perl or C.

Walt