gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:28:40 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] dynamic file (script output)

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 08:21:05PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> Try using backticks:
>
> $ echo `date`
> Sun Nov 19 20:19:31 EST 2000
> $

Though he didn't posit it very clearly, that doesn't really solve
Martin's problem.

The point is that one might want to do this somewhere other than a
shell. (In this instance, within an editor to slurp in a dynamic
.signature, but I can envision other uses for the principle.) Even
in vi's ex mode :!echo `date` doesn't get you very far (mostly
because the output isn't read it). Yes, it's possible to write a vi
macro to do this, but it gets *really* messy. (Try it, you'll see.)

As much distaste as I have for Richard Stallman and the HURD in
general, this is a *really* nice feature. Directories can log every
cd into them, files can overwrite themselves on every read (think,
migratory .plan or web page image).

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net