MaD dUCK on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:12:16 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Re: dynamic file (script output)

tom, did i ever tell you that i love your emails? almost as much as
ethanoic acid punch!

also sprach Tom Stepleton (on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 09:03:10PM -0500):
> Anyway, I'll give you $5 and a free ride to Delaware if you do it in two
> weeks...
> ...in Perl! (rim shot)

what an incentive. now why do i want to go to liquor world with $5???

> having said that, and not knowing anything about sockets, is there a way
> you can get a small program to stay running and keep the FIFO open and
> block until some other program reads it? I honestly don't know. I suspect
> you would have thought of that...

tried it. the problem is that i need the FIFO to behave in a way that
i allows one complete write of stdout until i write like EOF or
whatever, then block write until everything's read. reading should be
non-blocking... right now there is no way to control when the FIFO is
being written to. and no way to make reading nonblocking.

> have you thought about doing what you need to do with unix domain sockets?
> what happens when you cat one of those? probably not much. I've never
> tried.

can i create one of these??? and will it behave like a file?

> at any rate, I have a feeling that the best solution would be to
> reformulate the problem. Then again, if notes about Linus Torvalds's
> famous e-mail announcing Linux are interpreted correctly, it sounds like
> he got exactly what you want done - with fortune. Perhaps you could ask
> him...

fortune would do it, read. but fortune is a program. so yes, create an
execute pipe between fortune and /tmp/readfromhere and we're set...

martin

  `echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net`

(greetings from the heart of the sun.)

--
        "it would be truly surprising
         if sound were not capable of suggesting colour,