Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:03:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Fetchmail to POP3 Mailserver

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 03:38:53PM -0500, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:
> I was wondering if anybody had an answer for me.
>
> I am using fetchmail to retrieve mail from a mail server at our
> headquarters and place the  individual's mail in to their respective
> /var/spool/mail/xxxx mbox's.
>
> This works great.
>
> But now I have a request to retrieve mail from the server and transfer
> to another pop3 server at a branch office.
>
> The branch office is not allowed to access the main mail server.
>
> can this be done?
>
> I don't see anywhere in the fetchmail conf to actually map to an address
> (pop.mail.com) instead of the mbox on the linux host
>
> I am being dense or missing something?
>
> Any help will be gladly appreciated.
>
> The host the does the transferring is using sendmail. Would it be
> configure there?

Fetchmail hands to the local MTA. So a .forward on either host would
cause mail to forward to the right place. (For fetchmail to work,
local delivery has to be possible. For what you want to work, it has
to be possible to get to the remote machine somehow.)

An alternate (kludge) would be to set up an ssh tunnel so the user
pop's from his local machine, but ssh forwards port 110 to port 110 on
your other POP3 box.

--
 Jeff