Bill Jonas on Tue, 12 Dec 2000 00:48:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Update: USB on 2.2.18

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 09:52:02AM +0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> Yeah. But it needs more help info; I didn't know what they all the new options were, and some had no
> explainations. So I didn't want to turn on something I didn't need. Of course, it also means I didn't turn on
> something I might want, too.

Here's what I do:  If I'm not sure, I build it as a module, if possible.
That way, I don't have to rebuild the whole damn kernel if I wind up
hearing about what the feature does.  :)  (I've also gotten bitten at least
once by not having enough services built; I was at a LAN party one time and
one of the guys wanted to play levels he had that we didn't, and exported
the directories containing the stuff via NFS.  Guess who had to rebuild his
kernel. :) )  I figure I'd rather have a bunch of extra stuff laying around
than not have something when I need it.  (This happens to be the policy
that my former boss and I came up with for building kernels at my previous
sysadmin job; build support for all the hardware currently in the system
into the kernel, then compile as much as possible as modules.  Ethernet
card goes south?  No problem, pop another one in and load a module if
required, build another kernel later.)

If it's not possible to build it as a module, then I take my best guess (as
I'm sure you did).

--
Bill Jonas                | "If you haven't gotten where you're going,
bill@billjonas.com        |  you aren't there yet." --George Carlin