Joseph B. Welsh on Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:07:43 -0500

Re: [PLUG] USB sony spressa CDR

> This may be a problem. According to the web page, Vendor 0x4e6 is
>
> 04e6  Shuttle Technology Inc.
>
> and device 0x101 is
>
>  0101  E-USB ATA Bridge
>
> which is something funky and specific to your laptop, since I don't see
> this on mine. At a guess, I'd say this is the hardware that acts as a
> bridge between your USB bus and your ATA (or IDE) bus. And Linux doesn't
> know what to make of it.

Looked at this carefully and decided to try something.  Took my cdr and
plugged it in to his notebook which is running Win2000.  It detected and
installed the device right away.  He has the same model and type as mine.
(compaq armada E500).

Anyway, the device registers in Device Manager as USB-ATA shuttle Device.

I have a feeling that it uses a driver similar to how a Sparq portable drive
works.

> This means (I think) that you choose "USB mass storage support" when
> compiling the kernel.

yes I did

> Try 'cat /proc/bus/usb/devices' - does it show up there?

I got the usb root hub and the shuttle device, when I unplug it, the shuttle
device disappears

> (BTW, realize that I'm just about as much of a total newbie at the
> USB-on-Linux stuff as you are, but we'll see what we can come up with :-)

I do appeciate any clues any one can give.  This is not really important, I
was just fooling around.  If I can get this working, I can show my boss, you
really can do most everything without Micrsoft Operating systems.

(can't wait till intervideo releases LinDVD...that will complete the package)

> My log: (I have 2 USB ports on motherboard; I have an external 4 port hub
> (as expansion)); into this, I have plugged in
>
> a MS SideWinder joystick
> an Epson Perfection 636U scanner
> an Epson Photo Stylus 870 printer.
>
> I compiled in support for HID (Human Interface Device [necessary for
> joysticks and such]), USB printer, USB scanner, and Wacom
> (I added in Wacom support - that's a drawing tablet - because I wanna buy
> one in future)

I may try a mouse just to make sure usb is working with a simple device first

Thanks for the insight

Joe

Joseph B. Welsh                          -  JWelsh@ConsecoDirect.com
Unix/NT/Network Administration     - 215 928 8466
Conseco Direct Life Insurance
399 Market Steet / 4th Floor
Philadelphia, Pa 19106