Bill Jonas on Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:17:39 -0500

Re: [PLUG] sound card and mp3 ripping/encoding question

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 09:14:12PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> To wit: what's the effect of my sound card on the end file. (Note that
> I'm *not* asking about the playback.)

None.

The sound card is used only for playback, not encoding; you could rip
tracks and encode to MP3 in a machine which had no sound card at all
(though they obviously wouldn't do you any good until you'd moved them to a
machine that has sound-playback capabilities).  The track ripper grabs the
tracks off the CD and outputs them (typically as .wav files).  Then, the
encoder works its magic on the .wav files, using its compression algorithms
and the CPU.  The result is your MP3.  :)

BTW, if you want to use a command-line tool, I heartily recommend abcde (A
Better CD Encoder).  It'll grab the CDDB track info, rip the tracks, and
encode them.  If you want to do all the tracks on the disc in /dev/cdrom,
it's as simple as typing 'abcde' and hitting <Enter>. :)  If you use
Debian, it's (almost) as simple as 'apt-get install abcde'.  The URL given
in Debian's copyright file for abcde is
<http://frantica.lly.org/~rcw/cdgrab/>.

(I said 'almost' because Debian doesn't appear to have any MP3 encoders in
the archive.  (Perhaps this is due to the questionable legality of MP3
encoders for which there have been no royalties paid now that Fraunhaufer
(I think) is pulling a Unisys?)  In any case, you can either grab the
source for one and compile it yourself, or you can download the .deb I
made of lame at <http://www.billjonas.com/code/lame/>.  Note that it
installs into /usr/local to avoid conflicts with offical Debian packages.)

--
Bill Jonas                | "If you haven't gotten where you're going,
bill@billjonas.com        |  you aren't there yet." --George Carlin