gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:18:58 -0500

Re: [PLUG] screen-detaching a gui app

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 03:29:28PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> any ideas?

Write yourself a daemon which runs a python script to execute the X
app? (And by write yourself a daemon, I mean fork twice, chdir("/"),
and system("your python script here").)

So far as I know, screen's detaching method definitely *won't* work
with forwarded X connections, and I don't know of a similar,
X-enabled application... mostly because X is a protocol that likes
to talk to something even if it hasn't got anything to say.

As far as that goes, though, since python (I *am* thinking of the
correct language, right?) is capable of automating X apps, it
couldn't be *too* difficult to hack that onto screen.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net