Jeff Abrahamson on Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:41:28 -0500

USB flashcard reader

Has anyone managed to get a USB flashcard reader to work on a linux
box? (I'm running the 2.2.16 kernel with USB backport from Redhat.)

I have a whole bunch of USB devices in /dev/usb, but I don't totally
follow what they are. (/dev/dc2xx0 looks like a digital camera.)

Anyway, I tried accessing the reader with ks (part of the opendis
package for accessing kodak cameras) and it gave me a general "can't
access that device" error. (Not the error that you get from a mode 600
device, the one you get where there's no device behind the entry in
/dev.)

Anyway, it's not clear to me that any flashcard reader should be
different than any other flashcard reader, but it's not clear to me
what device to call it so that it works.

BTW, I just want to be able to download and erase files on the card. I
don't care about the fancy mount-as-file-system stuff, although that
would be a solution that would work.

Tia.

--
 Jeff