Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:24:44 -0500

cool command line for making mp3's

I just wanted to share a cool, simple little command line that makes
my machine essentially an automated audio CD to mp3 machine (as far as
one xterm is concerned). When the machine is ready for a new CD, it
just opens the CD tray for me.

  $ while true; do if abcde; then eject; fi; sleep 60; done

abcde is a script (cf. freshmeat) that automates the rip/encode
process and looks up names so I don't get lots of files called
audio_01.mp3, etc, nor any spare wav files at the end.

The sleep 60 just spares /var/log/messages, which might otherwise see
a long stream of device failures as abcde tries /dev/cdrom and fails
(until I notice the tray is open and put in a new CD).

I have two machines running this right now. I just feed them once in a
while when I notice an open tray.

--
 Jeff