MaD dUCK on Thu, 4 Jan 2001 17:57:43 -0500

[PLUG] Re: [slug] Re: spawning

also sprach gabriel rosenkoetter (on Thu, 04 Jan 2001 05:29:00PM -0500):
> With regard to your specific problem, though, Martin, it sounds like
> you are *not* using ssh-agent as the man page suggests. You need to
> start either X, xdm, or your window manager as a child of
> ssh-agent, and all the X sessions you want to see the agent's
> sockets as children of one of those.

my specific problem actually relates to a custom script which replaces
fetchmail and retrieves my POP mail from a couple of servers every
5-10 minutes through SSH tunnels. for this to work, ssh-agent must be
started and the passphrase registered, so my .xsession is something
like this:

eval `/usr/bin/ssh-agent`
/usr/bin/ssh-askpass | /usr/bin/ssh-add -p || exit -1
(~/bin/tunnelfetchmail &> /dev/null) &
/usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker

the problem is that tunnelfetchmail gets respawned with every new
logon and the different sessions not only retrieve mail every 30
seconds (which is heavy on the network), but also interfere with each
other.

do you see though why i chose the above approach?

maybe the solution is to create something like a startwm script which
does all of the above (except ssh-agent) and start that script as the
child of ssh-agent. am i guaranteed that there won't be zombie
processes?

i have this nasty habit to not exit my windowmanager, but to kill the
x-server with ctrl-alt-backspace when i exit, could this be part of
it?

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--