Michael Leone on Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:07:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] HD hosed by stupidity and xcdroast

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven M. Castellotti" <scastell@sas.upenn.edu>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] HD hosed by stupidity and xcdroast

> Uhm, I don't know about xcdroast, but I use xcdrgtk (the gtk version of
> xcdroast), and in fact I've been using a alpha version for about two

Didn't know there was a gtk version like that. I may check that out ...
someday. :-)

> months now (version 0.98alpha7) with absolutely *no* problems. CD images
> are temporarily created/stored in /var/tmp/image (a directory i created
> in /var/tmp) which is the same partition as / and pretty much everything
> else, actually.

That's what I would have liked, anyway.

> I don't understand how attempting to *mount* a directory should have
> done any damage to your filesystem, are you sure it didn't ask you to
> initialize the image mount point?

It probably did; it was late, and I was stupid.

Altho I don't know why it would have WANTED to initialize the image mount
point, if it was already formatted as ext2 (a recognized format).

> Anyway, if the problem was a bug in xcdroast, it appears to have been
> fixed during the re-write for gtk. The new gtk-based problem is
> impressive in regards to it's features and capabilities, incidentally.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.