Andrew Auderieth on Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:07:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ISP's and db's

> I figure that hosting providers will start to use Postgres more
> and more in the future.

As a hosting provider, we're pretty much driven by what customers ask for.
About 4 years ago there was a big demand for mSQL.  Over the past couple
years, in the consumers mind, unix + database = mysql.  I think it
probably happened as you had mentioned that mysql previously had some
advantages over postgres, and thus offered mysql, which then got put into
consumers minds in a sort of vicious circle.

> I myself have turned from MySQL to
> Postgres for all web development that requires transactions and
> lots of read/write activity.  However, I will only use dedicated
> server providers like Rackspace for these sites as shared
> hosting doesn't currently support Postgres.

If you have a lot of shared hosting customers that need postgres,
installing it into our shared environment probably won't be that big a
deal.  As for dedicated servers, if you're interested in working with a
local company, we can help you there.  So as not to flood the list, please
drop me a personal email if you wish to discuss that further.

--
				Andrew Auderieth
				      CEO

http://www.serve.com/					   info@mail.serve.com