gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:41:47 -0500

Re: [PLUG] upgrading kernel on RH 6.2

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 05:41:09PM -0500, Charles Stack wrote:
> a) NFSLockd fails (invalid arguments).
> b) Sound doesn't work.
>
> Now, (b) is not a big deal.  But, what about nfslockd?  Can I just disable
> NFS and not worry about it?

Hrm. Sound not working would be a *huge* deal for me, but...

Both of these make it sound like your userland is out of synch with
your kernel (which, from your description, it is).

Anything that uses ioctls or sysctls to communicate with the kernel
will need to be relinked against the same libc and system libraries
as the new kernel. Applications that access audio devices and
provide access to file systems *definitely* fall in this category,
and you should see if you can't recompile the nfs programs and
libraries from source (or find an RPM for your kernel version).

Unless, of course, you don't need nfs, in which case you shouldn't
be running it anyway. (portmap is rife with security problems.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net