gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:23:44 -0500

Re: Fwd: Re: [PLUG] Fwd: Re: named version probes

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 11:12:47PM -0500, Chad Glynn wrote:
> but wouldn't named version probes happen on the named port, port 53?

Yeah, but I think Beldon's just curious about what's hitting his
friend.

Looks like the usual broadband scans (ftpd--proftpd and wuftpd
exploits are pretty recent, especially considering how many people
even on this list are still running the horribly insecure default RH
6.2; linuxconf, so forth, plus some windows-specific crap).

If he's got a Linksys box noticing all this, he's a cut way above
most broadband customers and probably has nothing to worry about.

(Unless he's a long-time @home subscriber and it's just gotten
worse... in that case, um, well, there goes the neighborhood.)

> Big Brother Is Watching >> nslookup 24.0.0.203
> Server:  ns1.netaxs.com
> Address:  207.106.1.2
>
> Name:    authorized-scan1.security.home.net
> Address:  24.0.0.203

I can't decide whether that's more scary or reassuring.

I guess it's probably a good thing, but still... what's to keep a
disgruntled @home employee from making off with the logs?

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net