Clinton Roane on Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:06:41 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Re: Help

I have experience with Linux for a few years but have no experience with
networking/PPP.  I have installed Redhat 7 but am having problems with
connecting to my ISP (AT&T).  They don't support Linux but they say you can
connect using the CHAP protocol.  My modem works fine and I am able to
communicate with AT&T but I receive the error message.  I'm using Kppp.
Gnome's dialer just doesn't seem to work right.  My error message is as
follows:

pppd 2.3 started by root, uid 0
using interface ppp0
connect ppp0<--> /dev/ttyS1
Remote message: user domain missing/unknown/inhibited
CHAP authentication failed
HANGUP (SIGHUP)
modem hangup
connection terminated
exit

I understand that you have to edit your chap-secrets file which I've done

 ?????@worldnet.att.net * "password" *

where ????? indicates the user name.  I believe the Remote message is trying
to tell me something but I don't know what.  Do I have to give my computer a
name instead of Localhost?  I've tried to do that also before I reinstalled
Redhat but it didn't' work.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Clint