Patrick McMichael on Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:20:16 -0500

[PLUG] PLEASE RESEND REMINDER TO YOUR MEMBERS - RSVP REQUIRED PLEAS Invitation to attend Encompass meeting - FREE --- topic LINUX 101 - 2/22/2001

Date:   Feb. 22, 2001
Place:  Burlington County College
                3331 State Route 38
                Mt. Laurel Campus: State Highway 38
                and Hartford Rd. (Exits 40 and 40A of I-295),
                Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054;

Room:   202
Time:   4:30Pm to 7:00 PM
Topic:  LINUX 101

Host: SENGEN and V-Span
Food: Pizza and Sodas

Russell Pavlicek, Compaq

This session will discuss the value of Linux in a business environment.
We will cover some of the history of the operating system, its features,
and its place in the corporate world. We will deal with some of the
misconceptions that surround Open Source software as well as some of the
key differences between Open Source and closed source solutions. We will
also discuss the community which creates Open Source software and
Compaq's role in the Linux world. We will allocate plenty of time for
questions and answers, so come with your issues and queries about using
Linux and Open Source solutions.

Russell Pavlicek is Compaq's Linux Evangelist for Professional Services.
He joined Digital Equipment Corporation in 1987 and spent years as an
OpenVMS customer consultant for Digital. In 1995, he began using Linux
and soon became convinced of its potential as a business solution. He is
the author of the book, "Embracing Insanity: Open Source Software
Development", as well as numerous magazine and webzine articles. He is a
frequent speaker at Linux and Open Source conferences in North America.

Pat McMichael
Encompass LUG Chairperson
www.decus.com
Phone: 610-382-4087 or 1-888-44V-SPAN ext 4087
Fax: 610-382-1601
Email: pmcmichael@vspan.com
Web Site: www.vspan.com
"V-Span - the Virtual Connectivity Service Provider"