LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:50:12 -0500

Re: [PLUG] FW: Complining Modules

"Inkdog.com Staff" wrote:

> [...]
make the .c and the .h file into a patch and patch them into the kernel
tree.  Or an easier method would be to just to compile the kernel using:

make menuconfig or make xconfig if you have X running
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage_2.x.x  (the x's are kernel
versions)
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.x.x

remake the symbolic links in the / directory.
vmlinuz -> boot/bzImage-2.x.x

edit /etc/lilo.conf to reflect your new kernel

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz-stable
        label=Linux.stab
        read-only

/vmlinuz-stable is what already works to fall back on
/vmlinuz is the new kernel
/vmlinuz-dist is what I use for the distribution kernel

these are all symbolics to kernels in the /boot directory

This way all I have to do is change the symbolic links and not haver to
fool with editing the lilo.conf file when I build a new kernel.

finally, run lilo to remake the boot sector of the hard drive

> Subject: Complining Modules
>
> Hi list
>
> Can anyone tell me how to compile a module into the kernel?
> I have a driver for a SCSI control card... and I have a tape back up which I
> want to run off the card.  I went to the manfacturs web site... and I got a
> .h and .c file.  But I need a .o file for the driver to interface properly.
> Then I need to make it start at boot time.... but I think I took care of
> that ok.
>
> I know you can use gcc to do this.. and I am pretty sure its gcc
> SOMETHING... but its the something that I could use some assistence with.
>
> Thanks all
>
> Anthony

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )