MaD dUCK on Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:35:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Programming Question

also sprach gabriel rosenkoetter (on Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:23:11PM -0500):
> Hrm... wasn't ftime replaced by gettimeofday like about eight years
> ago?

word. it still works though. but i agree with you, gettimeofday should
be used instead.

> Ah, yes, but that only gives secs and usecs (not that that wouldn't
> probably cut the mustard, but still).

that you will have to explain. cut the mustard? gee, we don't have
descriptive, paradoxical, and [nt]asty idioms like that in german...

> Actually, I recall some people (Tom?) using ftime do that
> architecture lab (sampling the clock immediately before and after a
> loop of testing some speed-related thing in the processor's cache),
> I'm sure it'd work just as well.

i did too. it worked. but that's because i didn't really know of
times(2). for within a process, times(2) is surely the better one...

> > don't know what GetTickCount() does, i did manage to forget that
> > entire windows api, didn't i... in only a year... pffff.
> Gee, not bitter or anything. ;^>

well, it freed like 55% of my brain because there is absolutely
*nothing* intuitive or sensible or easy or straight forward or smart
or otherwise understandable in the winapi, let along that mfc
disease... so it slipped my mind as soon as i stopped thinking about
it every day... didn't know micros~1's was so good at garbage
collection :_)

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
"maturity is only a short break in adolescence."
                                                      -- jules feiffer