Michael Leone on Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:40:27 -0500

Re: [PLUG] portmap and other things

> identd is a good thing to have. it allows a remote computer (like an
> smtp server) to connect to your machine and find out who just made
> that request. obviously nicely configurable, identd is required for
> some applications, namely irc.

I run it on my firewall. Firewalls are even better to have. :-)

> > I've also been running portsentry for a while and it seems to be
> > doing a good job. Does anybody have any good or bad experiences with
> > it.
>
> is this the thing which answers queries at all unbound ports? if so,
> sure. but security by obscurity isn't all it takes to lock down a
> system!

No; posrtsentry monitors for port scans. If it sees one, it drops the route
back to that host. Effectively black-holing all further communications from
the scanning host. Bad for @Home people, since @Home has a stated policy of
scanning your host every so often, looking for illegal services.

Another thing I run on my firewall.